Rx SMZ/TMP Tablets
SMZ/TMP (Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim) is a broad-spectrum antibiotic designed to counter a variety of bacterial infections in multiple species. It fights against infections in the urinary tract, respiratory tract, gastrointestinal tract, skin, and much more. Since these conditions can lead to great pain and discomfort, it is important to identify the cause and get appropriate treatment right away. This is an oral antibiotic, and it can be mixed with food during feeding time.
- Follow your Veterinarian's prescription instructions.
- Always have plenty of drinking water available.
- Give by mouth.
- This medication may be given with food.
- If you miss a dose, give it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the one you missed and go back to the regular schedule.
- Do not give 2 doses at once.
Possible Side Effects
- It is common to find sulfa crystals in the urine during urinalysis tests, which does not pose a problem in animals that remain well hydrated.
- Less common, keratoconjunctivitis sicca KCS, dry eye may occur with long-term use. Stop giving the medication and consult your veterinarian if there is discharge from the eye, redness of the eye, squinting, or other signs related to the eye.
- Other less common side effects in dogs include anemia resulting in pale gums and tiredness, low platelets resulting in bleeding tendencies, fever, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, joint inflammation, arthritis resulting in lameness, kidney damage resulting in increased thirst and urination, liver damage, and skin rashes with possible sensitivity to sunlight. Stop giving the medication and consult your veterinarian if your pet experiences any of these signs.
- Dogs can develop hypothyroidism with long-term use.
- Cats will often drool excessively if allowed to taste the medication. Side effects in cats may include loss of appetite, low white blood cell counts and anemia resulting in pale gums and tiredness. Consult your veterinarian if your pet experiences any of these side effects.
Cautions and Warnings
- Not for use in animals who are hypersensitive or allergic to it or other sulfa medications.
- Not for use in pregnant, lactating, or nursing animals unless benefits outweigh the risks.
- Not for use in animals with dehydration; bladder or kidney stones; or liver or kidney disease.
- Use with caution in animals with blood cell abnormalities such as anemia.
- Consult your veterinarian before use with other medications, including vitamins and supplements, methotrexate, warfarin, phenylbutazone, thiazide, diuretics, salicylates aspirin, probenecid, antacids, or phenytoin, since interactions may occur.
This product requires a Valid prescription.
Prescription items are NON-RETURNABLE and NON-REFUNDABLE.